Sunday, October 26, 2008

Another weekend, another class...


Yesterday I took a candle making class at Glorybee. I have made candles on my own before but it has been years ago and the results weren't quite was I was hoping for. Fortunately I still have many of the molds and pans I bought back then, so I don't have to sink a lot of money into those things. The class was a combination of lecture and hands on experience. There were quite a few of us, almost 40 I would guess, so the hands on part was choosing which fragrance out of a choice of two you wanted and pouring the wax into the molds. It wasn't practical with a class that size for everyone to have their own hot plate and wax pot. We made a soy molded candle, a beeswax votive and palm wax container candle. We were also given sheets of dyed beeswax and a demo and instruction sheet of how to make rolled candles. I had hoped that we would do dipping but that wasn't on the agenda, although it was briefly discussed. I came home with a fir and rosewood essential oil scented soy candle, the natural beeswax votive and a synthetic (ugh! I know) Spice scented palm wax container candle. The fir candle and the spice candles were colored with a soy "eco" dye. I plan on making some undyed candles for Solstice and Christmas presents. I really like beeswax but I also like essential oil scented candles and the beeswax scent isn't always complimentary with chosen oils. Are there any candle makers out there that have researched the pros and cons of soy wax? I really like the texture of the candle we made yesterday, but wonder how environmentally friendly it really is? Anyone?

4 comments:

farmlady said...

I don't know much about making candles but I love them, scented or not. Your photos are lovely in the posts that I've read so far. Get yourself that new camera; you'll be surprised at how much fun you'll have.

farmlady said...

Sorry, I did read your Blog before. I was just reading more of it and I came across your Sept. 13 post; The Fickle Finger of Shame and Betsy says Barack for President. I remember reading these two before. You're a good writer. I will keep reading. I like the name of your blog.

Jenn said...

How cool to have all these awesome places to learn at. Your really very lucky. The only thing I have around is a great scrapbook store. Other than that even to get to a Hobby Lobby or Joanne's Fabric is over an hours drive away. Even the Wal-Mart's (bluh) around have removed thier craft departments.

Thanks for tagging me. That was great!

Lisa said...

I don't have any advice, but I would eventually like to make candles! I bought some soy candles from a candle company in Portland a couple years back and really enjoyed them. They burned very cleanly and were scented with essential oils. Oh, here's their site: http://www.greenspacecandles.com/. They have some info on why they use soy.