Friday, August 27, 2010

Happy Weekend!


I love how cheery these are.

I like this picture. It seems orderly and tidy. It isn't really, I like that it looks like it is though.

Last year I planted an insane number of tomato plants (like 20+), all sizes and types. When it came time to process them (all at once, of course) it was too bloody hot. I ended up roasting a bunch and freezing them and giving away the excess. This year I thought I would be smart, not plant so many and just the smaller grape and sugar lump varieties. I had some volunteer plants from last year's seeds crop up everywhere in the yard. I kept a few, mainly out of curiosity. When I was in Master Gardener training years ago, I was told volunteer tomato seedlings never really do much. Really? I certainly have not found that to be the case. The ones I kept have been as prolific as this year's plantings. I did move them to this year's tomato garden early on and kept them apart so I could compare. I didn't do a very good job of staking the plants and it is a jungle...next year I will do a better job.....

A few blooms from the garden.

No comments: