Saturday, July 4, 2009

You know where you can put your fireworks...

I detest the 4th of July. ABSOLUTELY DETEST IT. The amount of money that is spent on fireworks, legal and illegal is appalling. The noise is upsetting to animals and snarly old bitties like me. My neighbor, (the lame one that doesn't control his dog) and his normally nice girlfriend are setting off some really loud ones. No pansy assed sparklers for them. Nope, they have chosen some stuff from Mexico. They are going with ones that you feel in the pit of your stomach when they go off. I am not sure what is being celebrated? Are we celebrating our independence from a nationalized health care system, the civilized custom of tea and some of the sexiest accents in the world? Sorry, I can think of other things that I would rather be free from. Things like monster trucks, red neck yahoos that drive monster trucks and really inconsiderate neighbors. I would gladly celebrate freedom from those things.

5 comments:

Blaize said...

I actually like Independence Day, even though the fireworks make my enormous cat shove himself--somehow--under the sofa in protest. I think one of the things that helps me is that every year, I read The Declaration of Independence, usually aloud to whomever I can con into listening. This year it was my mother and my friend Sylvia.

This part I found particularly moving:

"Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

This year, the list of King George's abuses read like a condemnation of our last president, also a King George. This seems true: "mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Anything but change....

Iran came to mind. The evils there were no longer sufferable. I greatly admire the courage of those protesters.

Tonia said...

That is a brilliant idea, Blaize. Most of my problem with the holiday stems from the noise and the excess of mindless stupidity that seems to run amok during this time of year. The woman that does my hair was all excited to get her brand new red "shit kickers" on and go get "slutty" (her word, not mine) at the rodeo. Yee haw. Animal abuse and slutty chicks in mini skirts and cowboy boots.
I agree the reason behind the day is important, I just dislike much of what I see.
It is good to hear from you!

Blaize said...

Yeah, holidays overall seem to be an excuse to get drunk. Not my scene.

Cindy said...

I'm with you. We always go camping on the Fourth and so miss all the hoopla. Please don't tell our kids.

Aly- Bliss Monkey Studio said...

I love Blaize's ideas!!! My 9 year old Finn was watching fireworks next to me after the neighborhood potluck, and said, "mommy, I love seeing fireworks, but I can't help feeling bad about all the chemicals we are putting into the air, and all the poor people who have to work in the dangerous fireworks factories".
Wow, I love that kid.